The Birth Photographer | Phoenix AZ »

Graham Christopher’s Birth Story | Phoenix Birth Photographer

I am thrilled to be sharing this birth story with all of you!

When I met with this lovely couple earlier this year, I knew instantly that they would be amazing to work with.  And I was right.  But their little one made me wait.  And wait.  No big deal, though.  He was worth the wait!

One week over due, I received a phone call that the little man decided it was time to meet his parents. When I met up with them at a local birth center around 7pm, Mom was dilated to 6cm and working hard.  She had an amazing support team with her too.  Not only her husband and midwife, but her mother, her sister, and her doula!

This brave woman was a true rock star!  She handled each wave of contractions with grace and strength.  I am truly honored that they asked me to capture this incredible moment in their lives.  It was a pleasure and a privilege I will never forget.

Graham’s Birth Story | From my point of view


The Father’s Point of View



Hello world! We’re Nancy and Christopher and we were blessed with the wonderful experience of having Kelly Mo & Co photograph the birth of our perfect little son, Graham earlier this month.

Back in December Nancy found out that she was pregnant with our little one and actually waited two whole days to tell me as one of my Christmas presents. We had been trying for a few months and I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the news. Nancy immediately began to research her birthing options and we discovered a local birth clinic here in Phoenix. After a few tours of the facility and calls to our insurance company we were excited to start the journey of an entirely natural birth. The months passed by and we attended many classes about breastfeeding, natural pain management, and all of those things. Needless to say, we felt like we were extremely prepared.

The due date of August 28th slowly approached, came, and went. We celebrated Graham’s due date with a hike to Papago Park, rigorous swimming, and spicy Thai food to no avail. Eventually, on Friday September 6th I received a phone call from Nancy that her water had broken and that I needed to get home as soon as possible. Within thirty minutes she was having contractions about one and a half minutes apart and lasting about thirty seconds. We called our doula and she instructed us to head down to the birth clinic after a while. At the time we were just getting checked on, but the nurse on staff decided to admit Nancy as she was dilated to a four and was in full blown labor. At around four in the afternoon the doula, midwife, and Nancy’s sister and mother had all arrived. After Nancy had been laboring for a few hours they checked to see her progress and she was at a six. From what we could tell, Graham was coming hard and fast. I texted Kelly and let her know where she was and then she arrived to capture the event.

Nancy’s contractions were still coming hard and leaving her with little rest in between. The nurses on staff gave her IV fluid to help keep her hydrated and potentially slow her contractions some. The midwife checked Nancy at around nine o’clock, three hours since the last check, and she was still at a six. The midwife stated that she though Graham needed to rotate still, and that is why there was no progress being made. At this point, Nancy was exhausted and completely frustrated, but she decided to push on. She continued another four hours before being checked again, and was found to have made no progress still. Exhausted, Nancy and I decided that it was time to transfer. After twelve hours of hard labor with over half of that with no progress, it was time to get relief.

Nancy transferred to St. Joseph’s hospital in Phoenix, just a few minutes from the birth clinic. She recalls the forty minutes to transfer and get the epidural as being the worst part of the labor experience to that point. There was no relief from the pain then, but she knew the epidural would be coming soon and bring relief. The staff was quick to get her admitted and get her the pain medication. After some tests Nancy was able to sleep for a few hours through labor.

In the morning the nurse came to check on the progress and asked Nancy to change positions, but at that time Graham’s heartbeat dropped drastically. This happened once before we fell asleep, but this drop was down to around forty beats-per-minute. The doctor and a slew of nurses rushed in to check on the situation and found that Nancy was dilated to a nine at this point. The doctor decided at that time that an emergency cesarian section would need to happen for the safety of Graham. Nancy was immediately whisked away to the O.R. as I followed still trying to wake up from a haze of sleep. As they reached the O.R. they found out that Graham’s heart rate has stabilized, but the doctor still recommended a c-section and we agreed.

Graham Christopher Dyson was born at 7:11am on 9/7/2013. He weighs 7lbs 11.6oz at birth and is 20 inches long. After such a long labor he had become strained and passed meconium in utero. As he was delivered he started to cry, as babies do, and ended up swallowing and breathing in the meconium. After he was delivered they were able show him to Nancy and I, but he had to immediately get transferred to the Nursery ICU at the hospital for further observation. He was placed on a CPAP, given antibiotics, and many other things to make sure he would survive and be healthy.

Graham is healthy and happy today. After only three and a half days he was released from the NICU and was able to be discharged with his mother. Our family has been incredibly blessed and this experience has helped us grow immensely. We’ve seen miracles and felt very humbled through this all. We’ve felt the support and love of those around us in our lives throughout this experience and we’re so excited to begin this new journey together.